Aretha Franklin was an iconic singer, known as the Queen of Soul. The 10-time Grammy winner passed away in August 2018. Here are some of her most motivational quotes on life, happiness and respect.
Aretha Franklin Quotes:
1. Sometimes, what you’re looking for is already there.
2. Be your own artist, and always be confident in what you’re doing. If you’re not going to be confident, you might as well not be doing it.
3. We all require and want respect; man or woman, black or white. It’s our basic right.
4. People don’t really have to give you anything, so appreciate what people give you.
5. Never, ever, answer to a whistle, a hand clap, or someone snapping their fingers at you. You are not a dog!
6. I sing to the realists; people who accept it like it is.
7. It’s very satisfying to perform the way you want to and the way you know that you can.
8. You cannot define a person on just one thing. You can’t just forget all these wonderful and good things that a person has done because one thing didn’t come off the way you thought it should come off.
9. If you disrespect everybody that you run into, how in the world do you think everybody’s supposed to respect you?
10. TRYING TO GROW UP IS HURTING, YOU KNOW. YOU MAKE MISTAKES. YOU TRY TO LEARN FROM THEM AND WHEN YOU DON’T, IT HURTS EVEN MORE.
11. I love producing, writing. I rarely write with other writers unless I have a real great respect for them. Like Burt Bacharach, or Carole Sager, or Stevie Wonder. Somebody like Smokey – like that. Otherwise, I choose to write alone.
12. Being the Queen is not all about singing, and being a diva is not all about singing. It has much to do with your service to people. And your social contributions to your community and your civic contributions as well.
13. If a song’s about something I’ve experienced or that could’ve happened to me it’s good. But if it’s alien to me, I couldn’t lend anything to it. Because that’s what soul is all about.
14. Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It’s transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, it’s uplifting, it’s encouraging, it’s strengthening.
15. I’ve been around long enough for people to know who I am and what my contributions are. They know me as more than just an artist. I think they know me as a woman as well.
16. Don’t say Aretha is making a comeback, because I’ve never been away!
17. As a parent you try to maintain a certain amount of control and so you have this tug-of-war … You have to learn when to let go. And that’s not easy.
18. I’m never tired of going to the studio. I enjoy recording and documenting everything and trying new things.
19. 52 years of recording for other people. I thought at this point, it’s time for you to record for yourself. So that way there wouldn’t be so many spoons in the soup. There would just be one Aretha spoon in the soup.
20. It really is an honour if I can be inspirational to a younger singer or person. It means I’ve done my job.