Dalai Lama, born Lhamo Thondup, is a Tibetan monk of Buddhism. He is the 14th person to hold the religious title and is renowned for his meditation techniques. Here are some of his most inspirational quotes on Life, Goals, Happiness, Success Helping Others:
Dalai Lama Quotes:
1. Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.
2. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
3. For our life to be of value, i think we must develop basic good human qualities – warmth, kindness, compassion. then our life becomes meaningful and more peaceful – happier.
4. The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self.
5. No matter how educated or wealthy you are, if you don’t have peace of mind, you won’t be happy.
6. We all have to live together, so we might as well live together happily.
7. Just one small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day.
8. Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
9. The quality of what we do depends on our motivation, which is why we have to learn how to cultivate a compassionate mind.
10. Instead of looking to blame others and the world around us, we should first look within ourselves.
11. In order to become prosperous, a person must initially work very hard, so he or she has to sacrifice a lot of leisure time.
12. Optimism doesn’t mean that you are blind to the reality of the situation. it means that you remain motivated to seek a solution to whatever problems arise.
13. Only the development of compassion and understanding for others can bring us the tranquillity and happiness we all seek.
14. Foolish, selfish people are always thinking of themselves and the result is always negative. wise persons think of others, helping them as much as they can, and the result is happiness.
15. Appearance is something absolute, but reality is not that way – everything is interdependent, not absolute. so that view is very helpful to maintain a peace of mind because the main destroyer of a peaceful mind is anger.
16. Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively.
17. There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. one is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow. today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live.
18. Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. and if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.
19. Action is more important than meditation.
20. When we feel love and kindness towards others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.
21. We all have the power of thought – so what are you lacking? If you have willpower, then you can change anything.
22. Because motivation pervades all action, it is important that we have a positive motivation. Whatever we are involved in, whether it’s politics, education, medicine, law, engineering, science, business or industry, the nature of our motivation determines the character of our work.
23. There are two kinds of compassion. The first comes from a natural concern for friends and family who are close to us. This has limited range but can be the seed for something bigger. We can also learn to extend a genuine concern for others’ well-being, whoever they are. That is real compassion, and only human beings are capable of developing it.
24. When life becomes too complicated and we feel overwhelmed, it’s often useful just to stand back and remind ourselves of our overall purpose, our overall goal. When faced with a feeling of stagnation and confusion, it may be helpful to take an hour, an afternoon, or even several days to simply reflect on what it is that will truly bring us happiness, and then reset our priorities on the basis of that. This can put our life back in proper context, allow a fresh perspective, and enable us to see which direction to take.
25. It is under the greatest adversity that there exists the greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others.